11 Fun Facts About Cats
- 28 October 2017
- 0 Comments
- Pet Wants
If you’re the proud parent of one or more cats, enjoy reading this great list of eleven fun facts about these awesome animals:
1. Most cats hate the water. The reason is a normal cat coat doesn’t provide good insulation when wet. However, there are exceptions like the Turkish Van. This breed of cat enjoys swimming and has a coat with a unique texture that’s quite water resistant.
2. Over a short distance, a cat can manage to get up to a speed of nearly 31 miles per hour. A cat can also jump up to 5 times its own height in just a single bound.
3. While dogs are known for having an incredible sense of smell, cats take the crown when it comes to hearing. If you’re wondering how humans compare as well, cats can hear high-frequency sounds that are up to two octaves higher than a human can detect.
4. Brains are another interesting comparison between dogs, cats, and humans. When you look at the biology of a cat’s brain, it has more similarities to humans than dogs. A big part of this is both humans and cats have identical brain regions that are responsible for emotions.
5. Monkeys aren’t the only animals that have gone to space. In 1963, a French cat named Felicette entered space. This kitty earned its nickname of Astrocat by being sent into space with implanted electrodes. The purpose of the electrodes was to send back neurological signals. Not only was the data successfully transmitted, but Felicette survived the entire trip.
6. Dogs can only make about 10 different vocal sounds. Cats are capable of making 100 different vocal sounds.
7. Cats are incredibly popular pets! Statistics show that there are over 73 million pet cats in the US, which is 10 million more than the number of pet dogs.
8. What do you call a group of cats? The official term is a “clowder.” And proper names for a female cat are a “queen” or “molly.”
9. When a cat squeezes its eyes shut, it’s because the cat is feeling happy or pleased. And when a cat rubs against someone, it’s a sign of affection. It is also a way for a cat to mark its territory with the scent glands located around its face.
10. The standard size of a cat litter is between 1 and 9 kittens. The largest known litter produced 19 kittens, of which 15 survived.
11. As you probably know from personal experience, kitties love to sleep! It’s not uncommon for cats to spend 16 to 18 hours of their day sleeping. However, cats do remain alert to incoming stimuli as they’re snoozing.
Remember that Pet Wants makes Adult Cat and Kitten food fresh every month too! For more information about our nutritious blends, please visit Pet Wants Vegas Valley SW.